Malala Yousafzai by Sarah Hillman – Backpack – Refugee Portrait Collection
My portraits are a celebration of people. Their lives, their achievements, their unique humanity – these are the things I try to capture using different styles and colors and mediums. I love drawing people’s faces. Each face tells a story about the life that person has lived, the challenges they’ve overcome, and the story they’re a part of. There’s something very enjoyable, and very challenging, in trying to tell someone’s story without words.
In partnering with Umoja House on this one year portrait series, I get to use art to tell the stories of refugees who’ve overcome enormous obstacles in their lives, and gone on to use their skills and talents to make the world a better place for others. I love what Charla is doing here in Lansing, providing a safe space for people whose stories have brought them to Lansing, while they seek refuge, pursue education, or work to find stability in life. As an immigrant myself, I love how diverse and multicultural Lansing is, and I’m grateful to be a part of any effort celebrating and pursuing that aspect of our city.
Social media stuff:
If you feel like you’re carrying half of your belongings with you at all times, this backpack is for you! It has a spacious inside compartment (with a pocket for your laptop), and a hidden back pocket for safekeeping your most valuable items.
• Made from 100% polyester
• Fabric weight: 9.56 oz/yd² (325 g/m²), weight may vary by 5%
• Dimensions: 16.1″ (41 cm) in height, 12.2″ (31 cm) in width, and 5.5″ (14 cm) in diameter
• Capacity: 5.3 gallons (20 l)
• Max weight: 44 lbs (20 kg)
• Water-resistant material
• Large inside pocket with a separate pocket for a 15” laptop, a hidden pocket with zipper on the back of the bag
• Top zipper has 2 sliders, and there are zipper pullers attached to each slider
• Silky lining, piped inside hems, and a soft mesh back
• Padded ergonomic bag straps from polyester with plastic strap regulators
• Blank product components sourced from China